Changdeok Palace is a palace of the Joseon Dynasty in Seoul. Located east of the main palace (Gyeongbok Palace), nicknamed Donggung (East Palace). Changdeokgung means “Palace of Benevolent Gemilang”.
As a main palace, Gyeongbok Palace is an administrative center surrounded by ancestral temples, sacrificial altars and government offices. However, the preferred palace and occupied longer is Changdeok. When the Joseon Dynasty ended in 1910, Changdeok Palace as an asset of government and opened to the public.
Until now, the complex is admired for inherited elements of the Three Kingdoms Period architecture in harmony with nature. Methods such as these are not encountered in the construction of Gyeongbok Palace. Together Hwaseong Fortress, Changdeok Palace preserved as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997.
History Changdeok palace
Established in 1405, Changdeok Palace was originally a villa or hall wind (Igung). Palace like this are usually only used as a temporary residence while the king wants to take a break from routine. Most are built far from the capital, especially in areas with beautiful views. However, Changdeok is the only villa located in the capital, is just 1 km from Gyeongbok Palace. Custom build villa in a city like this started since the time of the Goryeo Dynasty.
Because of Changdeok Palace was originally built as a villa, the building and its facilities are not widely preferred for ease of kings. When the ever-increasing role for formal occasions, a completely expanded and the number of buildings increased.
During the first 200 years, Changdeok Palace unaffected political problems that occur in the main castle. When the king’s life was calm, he will go to Changdeok Palace. In this period, the favorite location of the king is Gwangyeollu (“Hall Area”), which has been established since the beginning. King Taejong often hold a banquet for officials Gwangyeollu palace and watch gyeokgu (polo) from here. It can be concluded that in the past, Gwangyeollu be in front of the large field. For 100 years, Gwangyeollu used as a place to relax. But in the 16th century, this building decayed and unkempt, then torn down and never rebuilt.
Changdok palace destroyed by fire in the event of Imjin War in 1592. The rebuilding done in 1609, this time to replace the Gyeongbok Palace as the main palace. The buildings reconstructed in its original position with the basic structure and the same name as before.
Changdeok Palace is actually difficult to serve as the main palace mindless and was not originally designed to support formal ceremonies or welcoming foreign envoys. The front page of the main hall and the pavilion too narrow for fun is not quite free to entertain guests. Although constrained by these things, the royal family still uses Changdeok Palace without merombaknya slightest. That’s because the tradition that avoids destruction of works of ancestors.
In 1830, a fire occurred singe other buildings inside the palace which stems from ondol blowing in the wind. Ondol system which is used in winter to keep warm rooms are risks that are difficult to avoid. After the fire, the buildings are always reconstructed as the original shape so that the basic design is still maintained until now.
The last major overhaul done at the beginning of the 20th century. After the restoration of Gyeongbok Palace, Changdeok Palace has been ignored long enough. Currently Sunjong emperor ascended the throne, he returned to Changdeok Palace and change its appearance. At that time, Korea had already fallen into the hands of the Japanese. In it is added to the latest electric lights and decorations. With the death of Emperor Sunjong in 1927, many buildings demolished and a completely Changdeok Palace was opened as a public park. Until 1970 the palace was only slightly changed. Restoration and major repairs started in 1980. From the 1990s to 2000, several buildings were demolished to be rebuilt so that Changdeok Palace now little by little has been returned to its original appearance.